I read an article the other day that completely changed my way of thinking about food allergies. I knew that peanut allergies could be really severe and cause anaphylaxis, but I guess it never really occurred to me that people actually die from exposure. There are no solid numbers to tell us the number of deaths that occur in the US because it’s not something that has to be reported to the CDC, but articles that I have read estimate it at 150-200 per year.
That doesn’t seem like a lot right? Think about it this way, most of those are children. Imagine being a parent who has to worry every second while their child is at school that she will accidentally ingest something that could kill her. I am so incredibly thankful that none of my kids have allergies.
I remember when Luke started kindergarten we were told that we could send a treat in for his birthday but it had to be store-bought. I was confused, thinking I could make something healthier myself. Then I read further and realized it was so all ingredients could be clearly labeled.
So, the question is should schools be nut free? I’m not sure, but I know that food allergies are on the rise and its bound to continue until there is scientific proof of what’s causing it. I would love to hear some other mom’s opinion on this one!